PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not much runway left.
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 12:32
Harry Wayfarers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duchess_Driver
Without looking too hard at the figures are those the “distance” required or the ground run?

Distance is to/from screen height (35’) and ground run will be less. It is possible to have a ‘clearway’ At the end of the departure end in which there are no obstacles and this can be included in the “distance” available. Similarly for landing there may be a stopwatch available.

There are also safety factors to be applied - whatever is calculated is then multiplied by 1.25/1.43 in EASA so I would expect there would be something similar there.

Agree at first glance doesn’t look like much margin.
Duchess,

Here in the Philippines the smaller airports are quite literally jungle landing strips, no lights, the only navigational aid being the pilot's eyeballs, no fuel so they need to tanker fuel in, and on these extremely short runways, with no navigational aids, the BAe146 pilot needs to put it down pretty much right on the piano keys to stand any chance of stopping before the runway end.

Interesting though, my local airporet of Siargao, for years it could only accept ATR72's on one hour sectors, it took them 4 years to extend the runway by about the size of a postage stamp whilst Air Philippines, rather than Q400's, re-acquired some Q300's to compete, well besides Skyjet going off the end the Q300's are a distand memory and Air Philippines are putting Q400's in and out and on up to 2.5 hour sectors whilst ATR72's are now operating 2.5 sectors.

In the Philippines there is a saying ... "We can scratch it", i.e. whatever the rule book dictates they can add some.