PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATC Initial Training
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 09:13
alfaman

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DustyFlightBag
Hello all, I'm looking into a new career in ATC, I have basically discounted the NATS route due to their requirements for being geographically flexible. I have a family and cannot just live anywhere. I have been in touch with Global ATS, can anyone offer any tips for me or offer some preparation ideas to get me ready for the self funding route. I've got a couple of years before I can commit to training...

Thanks
I would suggest talking to the airport nearest you, first, even if NATS. You may find they are locally recruiting for support staff which would get you a foot in the door. At least you'd then know whether a home move would be necessary. Global will no doubt train you, but without a position lined up ahead, you're in the same position as with NATS, you'll be chasing the work (as ultimately, most of do ).

The "just live anywhere" I appreciate is a throw away description, but, the limiting factor is whether there's an ATC unit near you, really: if you're fixed on a tight geographical radius, that's going to be the issue. There are many people in your position, family ties etc, progressing through NATS training, it really depends how locked in you are to where you are. I can think of comparatively few people over the years who haven't relocated at some point anyway, whether for a personal or professional reasons. Best of luck in whatever you choose.