PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 interrupting the ILS
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2019, 20:47
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
On the topic of "children of magenta", a term which is these days overwhelmingly used as a snotty remark to throw insults around by people who did not put the effort in to understand the message of that lecture ...
... waste of time.
I'm not sure if that remark was ment as an insult to me or not?

I'm sure that the 'elegant' solutions that are proposed here will work nicely, but the problems with the solutions that are proposed here appear not to be very instinctive but something that has to be thought about before it occurs.
There's one solution that will ALLWAYS work in ANY SITUATION where the automatics don't do what you expect them to do: switch them off, (A/P, F/D and A/T), put the aircraft in the position you want it to be (attitude, bank...) and adjust the thrust as necessary.Then and only THEN, you could re-engage the automatics as desired/needed.
This is a simple solution, that will work in any situation where the automatics don't 'behave'. Every pilot worthy of that title should be able to do that instinctively. Sadly, I realize, that's not always the case anymore.
I do not blame the pilots personally, but rather the companies they fly for and their training departments.

It is not my intention to make 'snotty remarks to throw insults' but to emphasize again that we are seeing more and more accidents happen due to the lack of basic flying skills and that needs to be addressed.

If you search my previous posts, you will find that 'basic manual flying skills' is is one of my favorite subjects, I like to post about.
Look at these if you want to:

Airbus Official Urges Major Pilot Training Changes
Some more links to posts about manual flying skills.
My view on basic flying skills.

Last edited by sabenaboy; 5th May 2019 at 20:52. Reason: added link