PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire trucks
Thread: Fire trucks
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2019, 19:49
GWYN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago, departed Exeter for the Channel Islands in a TB9, having filled up the tanks to the brim. 10 minutes after departure, climbing out towards BHD the rear seat passenger tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the clear fluid streaming off the trailing edge of the port wing. After changing to the left tank to use the fuel out of that side, called up Exeter to return for a precautionary landing. When we arrived I was a bit surprised to see all the available fire engines, blue lights flashing, waiting to enter 26 and chase us down the runway on landing. They didn't even let me shut down but immediately checked the fuel caps before clearing us to taxi off the active. It turned out tanks were full to the brim and fuel was venting as a result, so the trip continued uneventfully.

On the subject of fire trucks, does anyone else remember the fire crew on the Isle of Man in probably 2003 or 2004, received a brand new, state of the art, fire truck? They then took it out for a drive down the runway, "just to see what it could do" turned at high speed and rolled it on the runway. The airport had to be closed for the rest of the day till the fire truck was recovered.