PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about crossing controls in your aircraft
Old 5th May 2019, 18:45
paradoxbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He states it in the video.

I'm aware he's talking about coordinated rudder, that's why I mentioned in my post, I'm talking about different scenarios in which the rudder may be helpful. It's just a thought experiment.

(Edit: He states attitude, not altitude, my mistake.) But if the issue is that you can't get the nose up because of loss of pitch control, getting it up using the rudder before leveling the wings may be one way to stop altitude from creeping down, hence my original question. What I am envisioning is a shallow bank with the nose being kept very high with the rudder. In aerobatic aircraft there is a point where even if you are in a slip you will start gaining altitude like this with crossed controls. It sounds to me like the MD-11 may be capable of doing this, I'd like to know what else can do it.

There's an interesting glider discussion here:
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...er-climb-rates

Keeping in mind I'm specifically talking about trying to do this when you don't have control of elevator or trim and thus have few if any other options. I'm not brave enough to try this in anything other than aerobatic planes. I suppose it depends on how much power you've got available to keep the vertical speed pegged. If you can get the thrust pointed in the right direction it becomes a kind of poor man's thrust vectoring.

Here's an interesting article about a cowboy test flight done with no elevator or aileron, just trim.
http://www.barryschiff.com/sam_pp1.htm

Another technique mentioned in both the AA videos and around the internet was actually shifting the passengers in the cabin to get the CG in the right spot.

Just trying to see what options are out there for this nightmare scenario.

Last edited by paradoxbox; 5th May 2019 at 20:38.