PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas direct JFK and Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2019, 07:28
Tankengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Telfer86
Toughen up Princess's it ain't any different from what SIA were doing , well was 15 years ago , or was it longer ?

Why is it that we hear endless big talk from QF LH about about gunna do this gunna do that

Always pumping up the volume never any action - where is the mighty QF flight academy ?

The reality is this QF runs a very modest LH fleet that on any objective assessment is old gear (still using the 74s, A330s average age 12 years
, yes the business class is good & the mighty Dugong), that hasn't grown much since the mid 80s

I think the management made some very bad calls back in the early 2000s after the collapse of Ansett & to a large degree all the QF staff at the time
wanted to have their cake & eat it - it was party party party.

The other guys are all running A350s straight out of the shop, or 777/787s straight off production lines , already doing sectors of similar length to what QF is
proposing but these guys aren't putting up the neon "Look at me" signs. The just get on with it and do it , open new route after new route each year

How did it come to this ? Your international business is is about the same size as it was in the back half of the 1980s , whilst the Asian competition has grown 3 to 5X, BA has 140 WBs as compared to QF around 45 & rapidly approaching time to sell them to freighter ops

The stagnation of QF LH over the past few decades is a disappointment for many Australians as they would prefer to travel on QF OS but so few destinations. I think QF had a unique opportunity in the early 2000s but blew it monumentally. If the right fleet decisions were made by the company , the excess cash generated after the collapse of Ansett had been spent to pay down debt , oh how different it could have been.

You say all that like it doesn’t have anything to do with management bonuses!?