PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAI into Clutha crash opens
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2019, 23:47
skyrangerpro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n5296s
Seems to me this will forever remain a mystery, in the absence of a CVR. It's beyond comprehension how an experienced and by all accounts excellent pilot could have (a) ignored multiple low fuel warnings (b) forgotten to turn the transfer pumps back on and then (c) when the inevitable happened, failed to enter autorotation, for which you'd expect him to be spring-loaded considering the fuel situation.

It makes me think of some classic rail accidents where the driver's actions are just beyond comprehension: Moorgate in 1975, or Grantham in 1906 (where the driver was seen calmly staring ahead, travelling at full speed into a low speed curve).
If someone's actions are irrational then there are only two possibilities. The individual is irrational (possibly temporarily). Or he appears irrational because he is seeing something differently to you or seeing something that you can't see. We'll all have a different opinion on what happened here, but I made up my mind long ago that David Traill (and possibly the other occupants) was probably not mad but was relying on/basing his actions on information presented to him in some form that was erroneous. And that erroneous information may not have left footprints.