PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Caravelle pilots?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 08:54
Adverse Jaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose this is the place to unload my only Caravelle experience.
It was in 1974, flying into Linate on a dark and dirty night in a Merchantman when a propeller ran away at top of descent - not very high in those days - 16,000ft, resulting of course in shutting down the engine. All very well until the Caravelle proceeding us to land on RW36 streamed his chute which in the brisk crosswind from the right got snarled up with the runway lights or signage causing them to stop in the exit taxiway at the far end, the parachute billowing behind on the runway. At this point we were instructed to overshoot (that's what we said in those days) to Trezzo, the designated go-around beacon but a quick look at the WX radar, then out of the window confirmed what we knew already, a very active CB over the Trezzo the go-around beacon. Now on short finals, in the lightning flashes we could see the wretched Caravelle and it's inconvenient chute, we could also hear the the increasingly urgent instructions to fly our crippled machine into the thunderstorm. We remembered the not very distant episode of one of our Argosies crashing non fatally into the snow on those nearby alps and made the kind of decision pilots are supposed to take. Weighing up the possibilities, the parachute looked like a nice comfy option and we suffered a radio 'problem'. Well, the Caravelle pilots, sideways on could see this desperate set of lights bearing down on them and also made a quick decision - to get out of the way. So, either they released the chute or a mighty burst of thrust ripped it free and they stumbled off allowing us to land without incident, our radio miraculously recovered and curiously not a word was said of the incident and no reports filed!
There was actually a little more to this story which I will not commit to a public forum.