PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 29th Apr 2019, 20:49
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

And there were a lot of training flight crashes in the early jet years.
Yep, and one of the worst ones was in my home town and the trainee pilot had been a member of my Civil Air Patrol squad.
Classic case of letting trainee go too far, and then I have a hard time with trying a two-engine approach with the other two on the opposite wing in idle. And as the "sky gods" here ( mainly on other thread) will tellya - get the rudder in early, 'cause once the yaw starts you will get roll and if you pull back on the stick/yoke, then you get even more yaw and roll. In short, you're screwed. The report is better than the summary.

ASN Aircraft accident Douglas DC-8-51 N802E New Orleans, LA

As a matter of course, I taught single-engine go arounds in the Dragonfly, which had obscene motors versus the trainer. Each one had 50% more thrust than both of the trainer motors combined. If you pushed up the good motor before getting in the rudder, then you replicated the DC-8 accident scenario. Our first two non-combat losses were single-engine go arounds - fatals. So I would take my student up high and show them what happened if they crammed the throttle foward before putting in rudder. And we were a straight wing, not swept, which are worse.
Gums sends...