PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Tullamarine variable transition level
Old 29th Apr 2019, 08:11
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
So QNH 1000, 18,000 would be above FL180, would it not?

Yank ATC: "Traffic is Leddie 456 at 18,000ft!"

Bloggs 123, cruising at FL180: "Is he above me or below me?? I'm using See and Avoid but I don't know which way to look, up or down!!"

(I hope I've got that right... )

Plenty of jets pranged there, none here...
Bloggsie,
Such in-depth, concise and relevant analysis, NOT.

Quite simply, with between 5 and 10,000 IFR aircraft airborne over the "Lower 48" at any one time, and 50,000+ active flight plans in the system in any 24 hour period, 18,000/FL180 simply has been demonstrated to not be a risk factor ---- that there are alternatives to the Australian anal retentive approach to aviation is a point lost on far too many Australian participants in aviation ---- a group in which, clearly, I believe you belong.
Have you ever actually operated in US airspace?

Needless to say, I am equally impressed by your in-depth knowledge of aviation safety statistics. Could I suggest you expand your knowledge of the subject ---- firstly acquaint yourself with ICAO definitions of accidents and incidents (not Australian home -grown definitions) then get into the various databases, starting with NTSB, Boeing, EASA, Nial (AOPA US) and so on. There is no shortage of international comparisons.

If you really try, you can learn something new (and real) every day, and it might help to dispel a certain complacency ---- one of the major threats to air safety.

One thing you might learn is Australian aviation is so small, it is little more than a rounding error, another is how mediocre our real record actually is.

Tootle pip!!