PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 28th Apr 2019, 15:39
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

@ b1lanc..... and others.....

I think what some of us are talking about when we assert the jet is not stable is the stated purpose of MCAS, I also believe PEI is the most qualified to address this as he is a bonafide "golden arm" from both the USN and RAF and....

According to a graph from another blog, the plane requires less pitch control force per increased units of AoA rather than more force. In short, you should have to use more back pressure/movement to increase your AoA. But the MAX is like trimming nose up as you pull back, and it gets easier and easier to reach a stall AoA. That's the way I understand it. And the reason is not the 737 feel system implemntation, it's the actual aerodynamics of the plane due to the new engine mounting configuration and ssociated pitch moments and all that sort of thing.

So Boeing let the existing feel system work like before, and treated the problem with an aerodynamic solution. They moved the stabilizer angle. Problem is that other systems use AoA, and the damned FUBAR AoA vane not only activates MCAS but the stall warning systems and warning lights and....... Without the actual AoA that Boeing uses, I would guess that the stall AoA value for the shaker is higher than the value MCAS uses to trim nose down. Maybe FCeng, Dave or PEI can help here.

Anyway, THAT is what several of us are referring to as a stability issue. The plane should require more force to reach stall and not less.

Gums clarifies....