PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian recruiters failing middle eastern guys at QATAR AIRWAY
Old 28th Apr 2019, 09:50
Gordomac

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Labu : I recall flying with a blue-eyed, blond -haired , white skinned, delightful FO in the ME. He claimed, in the night-stop bar that he was very racist. He said that he hated all white men ! Larfed so much I spilled me drink. Of course it exists, always has. I failed to get into CX in the 70's because , having been born in India, the "twerp" of a DFO thought that meant that I was Indian and stated ; " We don't want any Indians here". For the few who don't get it, that means that if you were born in a stable, you must be a horse ! I have that on Authority but can't testify to accuracy. It is a long , now, amusing story but at the time of finding out, it hurt. Despite numerous and at sometime humorous further attempts at CX selection, I never got in. Although very close to success with (ASL) CX freighter DEC, something went wrong at the last stage and I got the three line reject slip. Nudge & wink I guess.

At one of the CX (mainline) stage two interviews in the 80's, the HR Rep took umbridge with my humour. 747 Rep didn't like my attitude because I fought back at very silly questions about bleed control valves,FMC stuff , etc. I was , at that time, a B757, experienced Commander They were awaiting 747's with winglets and FMC's and asked why the 747-400 had winglets. Nah, didn't get in at that attempt either.

The HR bod went on to Virgin. Labu, I know you get the point. I , later, applied to Virgin, heard from the ex CX Hr chap that all he could do was place me in the recruitment pool. I Never got out ! Perhaps he hoped I would drown.

But, it has all got better. I am told that CX has lots of Asians. We were a global mix at GF where I was welcomed and stayed for nearly two decades. In fact , being born in India in 1947 ( sorry, but we called it British India) , I got a few funny looks from pure Indians. Can't win eh ?

I thought you were referring to your own case, Labu, but you call him your buddy ( sorry, didn't read all the posts). Either way, as others have exhorted, move on, look back, and larf out loud. I'm off to the pool to work on me tan.