PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian recruiters failing middle eastern guys at QATAR AIRWAY
Old 27th Apr 2019, 21:27
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I agree with you guys hitting on Labu. To much complaining about an recruitment event is just not overly professional.

However, I had, long time ago, I think it was Dragonair back in 2006, a not very nice panel interview with them. One of the recruitment team members was a former police officer now doing pilot recruitment(it's the obvious thing, isn't it^^. That's what police officers shine at - at recruiting pilots ;-) )for this asian guys, british guy if I recall correctly . I guess he just DID NOT like me(mainland western european). All the 45 mins of that interview went around IF I could adopt living in HK(and I was already abroad a lot at that time, but hey). So I left that interview with the clear feeling that I failed and it was like that.

Point is. There are ALWAYS humans involved during a recruitment process(thanks god). That means that IF the "chemistry" is not right most likely that guy/gal WILL fail you. Because in that situation they are on the winning end of the food chain.

Most of us(at least that bunch that has been around a while and was forced to change employer already a few times during their "career"(wrong name for most pilots lifes, isn't it, not much of it remains since the last century I want to point out)) experienced that at least once in their life. Can be that someone does not like you and he will make sure you will not make it into that company. Pain in the ass for me at that time was that my employer went bust and I really needed a job. But the jerk had to discuss with me WHERE(I even checked out some places) in bloody HK I could live and if my family and me would like it(like some employers really care if you like your base). Had to do a "lease" job for some months till I found some other decent(nothing special as it was in ME which is an other arkward story of my life but not here) job to feed my family.
I would go even further and would say that some persons are in the absolute wrong position sometimes recruiting pilots, we all know the different "phases" of EK, then there was the other "unspeakable" middle eastern airline that had once a brits managament including recruitment guys, then it changed to german till it was tipped again and back to lovely brits. Guys got hired by germans and lost contracts with the brits because "they had to do it all over again". Or QR when they went a bit "indian".Just a few examples of far to many.

This IS the world of aviation Labu, live with it. You are for sure not the only one that MAYBE got shot down because someone did not like you. Or simply you just did not meet the expectations. Who knows? Go on with your life, your job. Like we all do.Interviews are a lot about qualification, I think we all agree on that. But, the tipping point is still symphaty - they, or someone, does not like your nose, you never get the job.

Last edited by tomuchwork; 27th Apr 2019 at 21:39.