PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA-28-161 dry lease rate: am I being fleeced?
Old 25th Apr 2019, 17:16
BigEndBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes i forgot about working half day Saturday in the 80's. Always felt strange knocking off work at 12:00 rather than leaving at contracted time 16:30 (but leaving at 17:30, i was a mug back then).

Originally Posted by LysanderV8

Possibly a tricky one. Which business would own the aircraft? One each? If you only used aircraft 1 for training and aircraft 2 for hire, that might work. Otherwise Company 1 would need to rent the aircraft owned by company 2 or vv at times. Not sure what HMRC would say......
Having said that, I know one company that does operate as two entities to avoid charging VAT. Not in aviation though. I also know another that did this for some years, and then HMRC came along and fined him £15k for avoiding payment if VAT. Again, not aviation.
We lease aircraft from a third party. To be honest we could have probably bought those aircraft twice over, if we owned them.

Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll
£23 an hour sounds remarkably cheap for 1980, but in any case prices generally rise more slowly than wages. Going by the RPI £23 in 1980 is equivalent to about £100 now. Compared with average earnings £25 a week then is equivalent to around £150 a week now.
Just looked in my first log book, i have the old price list from when i started in 1978, £22.68p one hour Cherokee 140. That was the Midland Aviation Centre, Halfpenny Green.
So probably about £25 by 1980.