PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The idiots I see are indeed taking over the asylum
Old 25th Apr 2019, 12:46
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
The latest piece of PC lunacy I've encountered comes from the CAA.

Once upon a time, references were often to 'he' or 'him', with some explanatory text explaining that this also included females. That was a bit condescending, in my view, so I preferred to use 'he/she' or 'him/her'.

But that isn't good enough for the PC idiots now - who are insisting that the plural word 'they' should be used even when referring to a single person... What UTTER bolleaux is that? Presumably to keep he/she/it/don't know/don't care or some LGB GT (or whatever they call themselves these days) from being able to claim discrimination?

If the Navy wants to keep its tradition, then fine. But calling an aircraft 'she' is a bit weird - in my day it was usually 'the jet' or 'the bomber' or just 'it'. The 558 Klingons presumably refer to 'Delta Lady' after the Joe Cocker song - because no-one can surely think that a Vulcan is in any way female? 'Our' Delta Lady is particularly nauseating, especially when used by someone who hadn't contributed any funding for the aircraft's return to flight.

What next - will the 'wimmin' (Private Eye ibid) be demanding that 'The Old Man of Hoy' is renamed? Or that the 'Isle of Man' is sexist....?