PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedures
Thread: Procedures
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2019, 22:54
flyinkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Barrel, I thought I'd join you in getting yelled at. Here's my checklist for the same part of the pre takeoff phase. Our club uses an exhaustive checklist that covers all our aircraft:

Runup:

Facing into wind
Check surface for loose stones or objects that could blow into your prop or hit someone/something behind you
Check that no people are nearby (especially behind you)
Park brake - set
Power - set at manufacturers recommended setting for runup and pause to let it settle
Confirm aircraft is stationery on park brake. Apply toe brakes as required if the aircraft is moving.
Warning lights - test (if available)
Left and right magneto test (for rpm drop and difference between them are within normal parameters)
Carb heat cycle (if applicable)
Reduce power to minimum and pause to let it settle
Carb heat cycle (if applicable)

Pretakeoff:

Power set to idle
Throttle friction - firm
Trim - set for take off and any electric trim works in the correct sense
Mixture - set for full power as required
Carb heat - cold (if applicable)
Prop pitch - full fine (if applicable)
Fuel - contents (verbal check that we have sufficient fuel and oil for the flight), selector (both/fullest tank), pump (as required), primer (locked), pressure (nominal)
Flaps - set for takeoff
Instruments - QNH set, transponder code set, DI bug set, AH level set, verify GPS function (if available), verify correct radio frequencies set.
Ignition - both, master - both, avionics master - on
Hatches and harnesses - secure
Controls - full and free movement
Lookout turn - check downwind, base and final for any conflicting traffic
Takeoff briefing - "In the event of an engine failure during the takeoff run I shall close the throttle, apply the brakes, keep the aircraft straight and come to a stop on the runway. If we have an engine failure after becoming airborne I shall lower the nose, look for best glide speed, select an open field ahead of the aircraft into wind and land. If we have any other emergency after becoming airborne we shall complete a circuit of the airfield and land. Are there any questions?"

And in case you are wondering, yes I had to memorize it.