PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA A321 takes off after smashing ground sign
Old 24th Apr 2019, 19:30
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dani
Be it what it was... - I'm less concerned about the actual happening than by the handling therafter: Why on earth would you continue your flight to FL 200 and only then realize you have to return? Would they have continued to LAX if they wouldn't have a roll problem?
There might be legitimate reasons why you get a wing touching the surface, but thereafter you do never continue the flight. Period.
This is what frightens me about this AA crew. Haven't they checked their wings after the rotation? Have they thought about keeping the slats out with structural damage?!
What about if no damage is visible from the flight deck and the cockpit? I remember posting a thread about an EK flight with rudder damage and odd ECAM advisory messages (or whatever Boeing calls it) from Moscow to DXB a couple of years ago. The majority of contributing pilots argued that if no error message is present it would be perfectly safe to continue the flight. The EK crew made that decision and discovered huge piece of their rudder missing when they landed in DXB.

But after years of reading pprune I realize that most pilots are inferior to certain European ones.