PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru down Wagga
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2019, 04:11
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Battery type?

I see the report states the battery is a "Deltran 330 Lithium-ion Phosphate battery", and goes on to note some issues with the battery that occurred since the operator ran it flat.

I'm struggling to find much detail on these batteries, and another site suggests that a Deltran 330 may not be LiFePO4 chemistry. Unfortunately the report is rather light on the details too so without anything concrete I'm left questioning the conclusion they've reached at this stage.

In general I've understood that the LiFePO4 derivatives are a rather more benign Lithium-Ion battery than the polymer types, and that they can withstand a reasonable degree of abuse (although I've not research this latter issue in depth, I tend to look after my batteries!). Moreover they're unlikely to catch fire on their own account.

Because the published outcome of this accident runs contrary to the advice I've had to date (and because I have a number of LiFePO4 batteries in use myself, and further advise their use to others in certain situations) I wonder if anyone is able to enlighten us on the exact battery make/model that was used in this unfortunate Jabiru, and/or any specific detail on the [purported] battery in use?

Thanks, FP.