PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Acoustic neuroma. Can I fly with 1 ear?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 13:22
vic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acoustic Swannoma - I have it too

Originally Posted by Lowfl
Dear all,

I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma last November. This month after the second MRI, doctors made clear I will need treatment. There are two options.

1. Operation: They will try to fully remove the tumor, but hearing in my right ear (my affected side) will go, plus possible damage to facial nerve. This will involve an 8-10hr operation.

2. Radiotherapy: To stop the growth of the tumor. Tumor will remain approximately the same size over time. Hearing will be saved, most likely for the next 5-10 years, but will go eventually as well. They won't cut my head open, but over the next 10-20 years another tumor could start growing because of the radiation. In that case I would require operation.

I got my Class 1 medical back with OML restriction after diagnosis because the doctors went for 'watch and wait' method. For my decision I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the ability to hold a Class 1 medical with deafness in 1 ear and possible Cross hearing aids?? I struggle to find information and have contacted my AME, but he takes his time.

Any (personal) experience on acoustic neuroma's is more than welcome. And also please don't hesitate if you can put me in touch with another pilot who is dealing with the same situation, or has dealt with it.

There is a nice UK CAA table that shows some guidance(EASA rules). Nothing clearly stated about flying with 1 ear. I can't post URLs yet. But if you google CAA acoustic neuroma, it will come up straight away.

Many thanks and happy landings!!
Dear Lowfl,
I fly for an airline and was diagnosed with AN in an MRI taken in Oct 18 after a history of asymmetric hearing loss in the Right ear. This was the first time it was diagnosed as I never had a MRI done prior to this. Met a few Nuero surgeons and they gave me similar advice as yours. The (Indian) DGCA cleared me for flying with Class I for 6 months. I have just recently got a repeat MRI done and there is no change in size of the AN. I have no other complaints. Hoping they will grant me Class I again although I could see the Aviation Medicine guy at the medical Centre making some disapproving faces. BTW, it would be nice to exchange notes. Please message me on +918800361444 on Whatsapp. I could argue my case better if I have your facts. Thanks in advance. Reply urgently.
Vic