PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 07:59
Mr Mac

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts
I have just come through T2 with SIA and can only say what a drab experience it is. Below is a post I put on the LBA site about their new proposed development, which also fits Manchester new T2 experience as well.

Looks a little like the "New" Manchester i.e. no architectural master piece, a communal bus shelter not unlike Liverpool. Sorry, but I have been involved with airport projects globally, and have to say the ability of airport operators in the UK to pick the most boring designs is becoming a bit of a joke. I know that one of the worlds big manufacture's is Airbus, but do you have to, in the UK take this literally in building Bus Stations with a shopping mall attached. I realise that much of UK regionals do not have the budget of HK / Singapore but can we get away from the Ral 7016 cladding colour (known as recession Grey in our company) and common to all UK public buildings since 2008. Put some more glass in to show the punters, many who are not regular flyers the beauty of aviation. You can be adventuress without breaking budgets. Years ago I was involved in a minor way in a Public swimming pool project in Colne in Lancashire which won the Sunday Times project of the year for the Hodder Sanderson practice, and they beat some big names in doing that so it can be done on a budget, you just need some vision. I believe Steve Hodder still has a thriving practice, in Manchester so you can even use a local practice !

Have to say opportunity well and truly missed with new Manchester development, not a good example of a Global gateway in this SLF extensive experience both as punter and contractor.
Regards
Mr Mac