View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 14:40
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

@ SAS.....
Tweets and Intimidation?

Interesting concept
Apparently when you were over there you did not see the USAF A-37's at Bien Hoa ( July 1967 - Oct `1972 ). They didn't "tweet", and their J-85 motors sounded like large shop-vacs until running up to high power. Typical loadout for us was 2 x 750, 2 x 500 and 2 x 250's. Then there were nape and rocket and CBU combos depending on the target.

The Corona Harvest historical documents gave us the smallest CEA of any attack plane in the war, closely followed by my second tour plane - the A-7D SLUF. Think 15 meters for dumb bombs as scored by the FAC's. And we would be called for by name if the grunt unit had seen us before --- Raps ( and Hawks for short period) . You can bet that NVA and Vet Cong folks who had seen our work would be :intimidated".

P.S. I was there in November 1972 when USAF delivered our last AD's to the Vee at Bien Hoa. They were from our Special Ops folks at NKP, Thailand. We were pulling out and leaving behind $ billions of stuff. The last in-country USAF attack plane was handed over in October from the 8th Attack Squadron - an A-37B. So we SLUF driversin Thailand had to assume the CSAR role, and I got to do that a few times before we ceased all bombing in Laos and the North two months later.

Gums recalls...

Last edited by gums; 22nd Apr 2019 at 14:47. Reason: typo, and could be more