PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Category A Takeoff: Background
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2019, 23:00
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab ; yes you are right - I have not, (I have suggested some figures) ... but neither have those purporting to:
ref post #118 re ALoSP - why not ??
"Isn't that how statistics work?" yes it is. "dress it up" no need to, that's how stats work, I AGREE

"a single engine helicopter with an engine failure over a congested area is FAR more likely to have a catastrophic outcome than a twin engine helicopter having a single engine failure........" yes true, but that's not the point, that downside has to not be out weighed by the increased fatalities from other consequent fatal accidents, caused by excessively focusing on engine redundancy. (Like those in post #97). It is not clear that happens. It's just a 'nice idea'.

"Do please explain how you will design a tail rotor system where the CP is consistently aligned with the pitch change axis - you understand that the pitching moments change with AoA????"
I do, and I understand when they don't too. You'll have to look that up yourself, it's really obvious, class is closed for today.

Let's get to the bottom of this. I take it you aggree with much of what I say, eg 2 pilots/1950s/some downsides/some upsides
You agree that the upsides should be measured against the downsides and not just upsides in isolation?
It should be measured in terms of ALoSP (agree?), the people considering this issue are not producing this figure.
Why not? because it doesn't work?