PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difficulty on first few flights (a320 line training)
Old 21st Apr 2019, 15:37
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giggitygiggity

This thread is seven years old so probably not much use in digging it up again... Although I’ll bite.

A word of warning to anyone reading this in 2019:

Please disregard this advice and listen to your instructors. If you’ve got the FDs up and flying manually, in the airbus, you should follow them. If the aircraft is in THR IDLE and you’re heaving it round the base turn visually, you’ll soon end up in at best, a meeting with the base captain and at worst, on the front page of the paper. If the FDs are on and A/THR engaged, not following them ‘as they’re suggestions’ is a dangerous situation to be in. Why do you think they ask you to turn the FDs off during a TCAS RA? To ensure the auto thrust is in speed mode. On an ILS (or fully managed approach to touchdown) you are given a bit of slack with the FDs as you should have ensured speed mode is active as part of your landing checklist, but giving this as general advice is ill considered.

Perhaps read the Air France Tel Aviv A320 report and then reconsider whether your advice, that was supposedly directed to a 400hr FO, was actually good general advice, or simply reveals your under confidence and lack of knowledge of the A320 flight path automation.
Could not agree more. I prefer V/S over open CLB/DES while manually flying with the AT on, because I will at least have some speed protection, but the training department seems to dislike teaching V/S.