PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Category A Takeoff: Background
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2019, 06:19
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
(the point about hydraulics was to make you think. why are hydraulics necessary on a helicopter tail rotor? (it's a rhetorical question). Bad design maybe? Especially if it involves introducing an unecessary system to a system that can kill you, once per 50,000hrs. As for your point about forces on an AS350 with the hydraulics turned off, I am sure you can see the flaw with your question, moving hydraulic fluid around is hard work. If the centre of pressure is too far behind the pitch change axis then there also a lot of unecessary work to do, (bad design; that could be offloaded by spring). The main rotor of an H369 is about the same size as the Tail Rotor of a Mil26, 5 blades too. The H369 does not have hydraulics, and moving it's collective lever forces, with your feet would not be at all difficult. So why do you needhydraulics on a helicopter TR (?) , answer is you don't.)
Perhaps with your aviation time spent solely on light singles, you fail to understand the concept of disc loading - the harder you make the rotor work, the bigger the feedback forces and the more power required to combat those.

Have you never wondered why pretty much every helicopter over a ton and a bit has hydraulic assistance for main and TR?

Perhaps your ego asserts that you are man enough to manage such forces hour after hour but for us mere humans the hydraulics are essential.
You could of course just double the size of the main and TRs to reduce the power they consume but that's not very practical, is it?

As to playing the man, well you want to have your cake and eat it AnFI, you like to use your 'secret, Clark Kent' identity on PPrune to harangue and badger aviation professionals with your special agenda and use your 'Superman' persona to try to force your will on regulators.

Crab, my advice is, DON'T.
Megan - don't worry, I have played that game before and he just gets abusive