PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F4 question
Thread: F4 question
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2019, 06:18
stilton

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Audax
The full aft stick technique catered for the many configurations, weights, loads and/or the variable c of g positions these configurations created, the aircraft got airborne when it was ready. As for yaw on a single engined reheat overshoot, there was a tiny amount but as the engines were so close together it was of no great consequence, I’ve done hundreds as a Phantom instructor!

Thanks for that Audax, it’s been fascinating to receive such enlightened information, the minimal yaw in a single engine scenario was unexpected despite their being mounted so close together, I expected the significant thrust asymmetry would produce more than what you describe

Interesting that it was possible to scrape the ends of the stab if you overrotated, I’d not conceived of that as a possibility but it makes sense with the significant anhedral in the F4 tailplane

So another question, I understand the F4 was designed from day one as a Naval fighter and bringing it aboard the carrier involved flying a steady angle of attack to a no flare touchdown

Was this technique also used on land based Phantoms ?

Ive seen a number of videos where that appears to be the case