PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 767 down/Texas
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2019, 04:58
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
I suggest it is almost impossible to do this when correctly selecting a flap reposition particularly should one have been properly trained: i.e. when selecting a flap reposition from the Left seat the hand always goes under the pilot flying (F/O's) arm. This prevents the Left seat pilot's arm getting in the way of the Pilot Flying (F/O) use of the thrust levers.
Further the hand/arm would not be anywhere near the TOGA switches.

Had for some reason TOGA had been initiated one would think autothrust would be immediately disconnected to maintain the required flight path/remain in control of the aircraft. Or is the required flight path was not able to be maintained a go round carried out.

This should be a fairly standard procedure which all training would demonstrate.
No offense but are you an Ozmate FO perhaps? I've flown with a couple who had similar detailed ideas of the 'right' way to do things in the cockpit. One guy told me that I was folding the paperwork the wrong way. Maybe he was right...

Can you find any reference for this 'standard procedure' for your, uh, reach around?

Some FO's would have their hands on the throttles at 6000 feet with autoflight engaged, others would not in my experience. These are not TOGA switches, they are go-around switches on the B-763. I agree that clicking off the autothrottle and pulling back the thrust levers would be a simple way of handling the initial miscue. Or, selecting FLCH since 6000 is in the altitude window would automatically pull back the power and bring you back on altitude.

Last edited by Airbubba; 21st Apr 2019 at 06:30.