PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASDOT Contract chopped?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 21:58
flighthappens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Foghorn Leghorn
You’ve no reason to trust me. No you can’t get training out of flying Red Air other than airborne time itself which would be better served flying as Blue. You simply can’t get the required ‘ticks’ when flying Red Air. That’s not open for debate.

People are leaving, that’s the point, and of those people leaving they have been asking for follow on tours on the FL and are not getting them for various reasons; entirely valid reasons for the majority.
Originally Posted by Foghorn Leghorn

Trust me, it’s wasted having people sat doing FJ Red Air; you simply cannot get the training required. If your metric is hours flown then sure. If your metric is capability, then it’s a waste. As I’ve already said, there is a constant stream of talented FJ pilots leaving anyway so they would be ideal candidates for contract Red Air.
Red air is only a waste of a time if people are not thinking correctly. At present the threat has very similar capabilities to the 4th Gen Blue - mimicking red is certainly not “invalid”. There are plenty of core skills that can be practiced.

The point that you don’t get “ticks” merely serves to highlight some of the problems within a system that is that it driven by quantitative stats rather than qualitative assessment.

Flying Red also gives the opportunity for people to try things they wouldn’t normally do as blue which if flown correctly can increase their individual ability.

regardless if I have a choice up between a squadron that I have a role in having to fly a modest percentage of red air or getting an extra Cobham or some contractor job radar non EW ex trainer I know what I want. Guess what - It’s not the 0.8M hawk with no SA or 0.6M 20kft falcon.

lastly what percentage of people leaving want to step to Cobham over Middle East training / an airline job / somewhere like inzpire / city consultancy? I wouldn’t be relying on that to solve the brain drain.