PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air New Zealand ATR 72 'hits' something
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 16:37
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like they hit a runway light at some stage during their departure. I wonder if the crew knew they had it or if a subsequent routine runway inspection or ATC observation identified a 'missing' light?. The latter case might explain the delay in returning to Christchurch perhaps? Anyway, no biggy ie, no one hurt and no significant damage it seems but interesting given we also have the AA321 incident taken out a runway remaining sign on departure to show perhaps what could have happened.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree that from the standpoint of " ... no one hurt and no significant (aircraft) damage ..." the incident was "no biggy"; however, either incident would have involved a significant runway excursion. Hitting a runway edge light ( placed 2 - 10 ft. from runway edge) is less serious than hitting a runway distance remaining sign, but even 2 ft. from the runway edge (full strength pavement) is a problem, especially with the ATR series whose landing gear is relatively close to the fuselage centerline. Depending on the size of the runway remaining signs, these signs can be placed from either 20 to 35 ft. from the runway edge or 50 to 75 ft. from the runway edge. These are U.S.A. standards (FAA) which I believe are in alignment with ICAO standards. Being 20 ft. or more off the runway edge indicates, in my opinion, a loss of aircraft control ... certainly a "biggy".

Cheers,
Grog