PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-arounds- how common?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 13:25
FZRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Yep.

As a part of aviation, they are a non-event. Push the power up, and you've simply converted the approach into that part of flight that happens just after take off. They are not dangerous, nor are they in any way reportable. Just remember just why a go around is being done; it always happens because the option to continue has expired and they are ALWAYS the safest choice.

They can feel a lot more 'uncomfortable' or violent than they really are as they happen after a period of low power, speed and nose attitude. The average newspapers' description of passengers talking about a go around always sounds like they were in an F18...yet exactly the same performance an hour earlier at take off gets no comment.....because it was expected!

There's generally more going on aft of the cabin door than in the cockpit.
Whilst I agree that passenger shouldn't be alarmed by a run-of-the-mill go-around, I would beg to differ that they are completely normal events - particularly the un-expected ones.

When was the last time on a sim check that you practiced a 2 engine go-around? We practice the single engine go-around time and again, until we can do it with our eyes closed. But I think that 2 engine go-arounds do have a history of catching people out. Two UK registered examples spring to mind, one in to Chambery and another in to Bournemouth, thankfully both recovered in the nick of time:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...009_G-THOF.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.go...CELC_12-10.pdf

Not to mention the FlyDubai in Rostov which had a far more tragic ending.

A rhetorical question, but one that has been doing the rounds at our company recently; what is more dangerous, continuing or going around from an unstable approach when you were 5 knots too fast at the "gate"?