PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedures
Thread: Procedures
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2019, 20:54
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm no checklist and procedure design expert although I have been involved at some stage as part of team when we introduced a new to us biz jet into our fractional operation.

Just a couple of thoughts and observations:

The thread is titled "procedures" but many posts discuss checklists. I think the two need to be separated. Unfortunately it has been my experience that many GA aircraft manufacturers don't do that. The normal procedures section from the POH or AFM basically IS the checklist. That's often not practical. A procedure tells you what you have to do, and often how to do it, step by step. A checklist should only cover the critical parts contained in the procedures. It's not practical to run a long checklist as a read and do. Some will initially disagree but it becomes clear to them when I point out that they don't raise or lower the gear when they get to that item in the checklist but instead they do it at the appropriate phase of flight. The same is true for many other items, especially when the aircraft is in motion either on the ground or in the air. The procedures should be carried out as flows, backed up by check lists at an appropriate time. Unfortunately I feel that many GA cockpits have not been designed with flows in mind and there are no published flows and follow up checklists. Cessna is a good example, up to and including their biggest biz jets. Dassault on the other hand has long adopted the "flows, followed by short checklists" philosophy on their Falcon business jets. Of course Airbus and Boeing have been doing it like this for decades. Smaller GA OEMs? Not so much in my experience. But then again, I'm not that involved in light GA types anymore so maybe there has been some change? Would really like to know.