PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172. Engine fire in flight procedure
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2019, 17:54
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
We'll drift a bit to slips in a 172, as I think we've handled the topic of engine fires;

In his book "Cessna, Wings for the World", from which I quote, retired Cessna test pilot William Thompson writes:

"With the advent of the large slotted flaps in the C-170, C-180 and C 172 we encountered a nose down pitch in forward slips with the wing flaps deflected. In some cases it was severe enough to lift the pilot against his seat belt if he was slow in checking the motion. For this reason a caution note was placed in most of the owner's manuals under "Landings" reading "Slips should be avoided with flap settings greater than 30 degree due to a downward pitch encountered under certain combinations of airspeed, side-slip angle and center of gravity loadings" Since wing-low drift correction in cross wind landings is normally performed with w minimum flap setting (for better rudder control) this limitation did not apply to that maneuver. The cause of the pitching motion is the translation of a strong wing downwash over the tail in straight flight to a lessened downwash angle over part of the horizontal tail caused by the influence of a relative "upwash increment" from the upturned aileron in slipping flight. Although not stated in the owner's manuals, we privately encouraged flight instructors to explore these effects at high altitude, and to pass this information along to their students. This phenomenon was elusive and sometimes hard to duplicate. but it was thought that the pilot should be aware of its existence, and know how to counteract it if it occurs close to the ground.

When the larger dorsal fin was adopted in the 1972 172L, this side-slip pitch phenomenon was eliminated, but the cautionary placard was retained. In the higher powered C-172P and C-R172 the placard was applicable to mild pitch "pumping" motion resulting from the flap outboard end vortex impingement on the horizontal tail at some combinations of sideslip angle, power and airspeed."

I take Mr. Thompson to be an authority on Cessnas, and highly recommend his books. In once did experience the phenomenon while slipping an older 172 with flaps extended. It was startling, though manageable. In all my flying in newer 172's, I have never encountered it.