PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedures
Thread: Procedures
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2019, 12:14
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
My suggested addition to the checklist above would be: "Fuel Both & Quantity", otherwise, it's close enough to the Cessna checklist to tick all the boxes.

Though you're getting away with it now,

I was shown a list of checklists with sequences that made no sense to me, and which my instructors did not follow in order anyway. So I made and memorised my own
Is worrisome in the context of flying more advanced aircraft with low experience. I agree, some items on checklists could be perceived to be out of order or place, and I might agree that a few are - based on about 5000 hours flying various Cessna singles. But, a student pilot is not yet qualified, nor experienced enough to assess what sense a manufacturer's checklist makes. I agree that something about it's use might be awkward, but it is more likely that some things are in a certain order for a specific reason. That reason might be beyond your training thus far. Selection of fuel pump operation, particularly on Cessnas with "Hi and Low", would be an example.

It is very worrisome that instructors would be teaching you to "not follow in order" manufacturer's operating procedures. They too, might not have the experience to know better. What else about learning to fly are they making up for you?

When you make up and memorize your own procedures, it shows initiative, and that's good. However doing it your own way, contrary to the manufacturer's procedures means that if you have an incident, you're on thin ice explaining how you got yourself there procedure wise. More to the point, you are teaching and reinforcing for yourself (and it sounds like your instructor is helping) habits which will very certainly have to be unlearned later - possibly just before a flight test, and certainly when you transition to more complex aircraft, and absolutely when you fly as a crew member!

Two crew operations run strictly by approved checklists, so that two pilots not known to each other will work as a team, as they would if they flew together all the time. following procedures and cheklists to the word is the best way to assure common purpose behaviour in the cockpit - no freelancing. A pilot who turned up right seat in a commercial airplane with their personally made checklist in hand would be shown the cockpit door!

So you'd like an example of pilots having to "unlearn" a poor habit: Industry is all about assuring that pilots put the wheels down before landing. Checklists galore, buzzers and lights, and lots of history with wheels up landings to reflect upon. So the mantra drilled in by 98% of instructors (I'm in the other 2%): "Wheels down for landing". So far so good right? We have hundreds of thousands of pilots out there diligently confirming that the wheels are down for landing. "Sounds great - until you're flying an amphibian. Landing wheels down on water in an amphibian is going to wreck the plane every time. So every pilot I train is unlearned then retrained to say out loud, as they visually check ('cause there are no warning systems in most amphibs) either: "Wheels are down for landing on land" or "Wheels are up for landing on water". EVERY amphib pilot I have trained (many) has omitted this, or got it wrong at least twice during training. I'm watching, and I'll catch it. Their first time = equals a reminder. Their second time will be me startlingly calling "Pull up and go around!!!", then exxplaining why later. Usually after that, they're beginning to get the idea. Still though, I had a 7000+ airline pilot try to land his amphibian wheels down on the water again - I caught him again....

So, for my own personal discipline, every RG airplane I fly is checklisted like an amphib; not just "wheels down", but "wheels down for landing on land" spoken out loud prelanding. You may laugh, but using that procedure prevents me having to unlearn later, and, has the added benefit that if I ever have to ditch an RG landplane, I'll already have the procedure correct for checking the gear, and it will be "wheels are up for landing on water" (which is a manuafacturer's procedure!)