PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2019, 23:17
john_tullamarine

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
No simple answers to the question. I was a moderately experienced PE when I was very lucky to score an airline slot. That was right at the end of a hiring cycle and in a still-competitive environment. The engineering, as acknowledged by the head man, balanced my comparatively low hours as they were looking at potential further down the track. Was the engineering useful in the pilot role ? A bit of a moot point but, probably, not to any significant extent. It was, however, more than useful in maintaining a parallel career which provided a get-out-of-jail-free card backup.

I was just researching on which uni should I chose.

Most certainly go for the higher ranking Institutions. However, consider whether the typical aviation degree has any real marketing potential further down the track if you haven't been in practice during your flying time. I wouldn't waste my time on any time-related disciplines unless you intend and do maintain a presence in the discipline as a side career. Perhaps accounting, law, and similar qualifications are more useful - especially if you acquire the relevant registration and practice as a parallel career.

I recall one well-known chap in Oz who left us around 7 years ago, now. Flew as an F/O for a few years (Ansett-ANA or maybe it was earlier in ANA) qualified as a GP on the side, and subsequently as an electronics engineer. Had a very comfortable existence from the latter two disciplines. RC, for those who recall him. As an anecdote, I cut out the bill in flying for some design work I did for him and we went for a couple of hours's circuits in his 685 at Essendon. He wasn't used to doing circuits inside the aerodrome boundary - dead easy with the thrust and low weight - so he didn't get to see much of it from the RHS.

Two other colleagues, both contemporaries, studied law in later life and continued with dual flying/legal careers. (JM and GP for those who know them). Hence my observation that one probably could look at law or accounting down the track and qualify while flying, especially as both can be studied with large remote learning components.

Wasting your money on a Degree to be a pilot.

Concur. Although there is a minor benefit in demonstrating the ability to knuckle down to study and exams - assuming a suitable degree and Institution

I wholeheartedly agree that an Aviation degree, be it a Bachelor or an Associate, is completely useless if you plan on flying your entire career.
A degree will give you peace of mind knowing that you have tertiary education that is tangible to someone who works outside of aviation.

I suggest that a dated degree, with no practice experience, is next to no use to the older out of work pilot at all. It is a very competitive market out there and, unfortunately, ageism is alive and well.

so taking knowledge from a uni degree you did 20/30 years ago that you never put into practice after your study and having to compete against new young graduates prepared to work for much lower salaries with more up to date knowledge in that field will be difficult.

If not impossible. The message is maintain and develop the qualification's value while you are flying.