PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2019, 11:13
SotonFlightpath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don’t know why so many people on the forum are so keen to see SOU develop into just another regional airport. As I have mentioned before, SOU is very, very different from most other regionals, and is located in a very geographically-challenging location. It is a largely urban/suburban area, hemmed-in by industrial sites, high density housing, a railway works which is growing rather than declining, a railway depot, a station and a motorway. It is actually within the town of Eastleigh, and well within the contiguous built-up Southampton/Solent area. Nearby Portsmouth is the most densely-populated built-up area in the UK – even greater than central London, and Southampton just to the south of the airport is the third most densely-populated area. In such a location, any expansion is likely to be unpopular.

The South Hampshire Metropolitan area has a combined population of over 1.5 million, It is the most populated part of south east England, excluding London, making it the most densely populated region in the UK. As such, I have always considered SOU as a regional version of LCY. Not withstanding the uncertainty with Flyby/Connect, SOU’s essential role will always be frequent, domestic and short haul European traffic primarily for the business market – operated by small aircraft. These kind of routes have always been reasonably profitable, as they can operate with fuel/cost-efficient turboprops and a relatively high fare can be charged for the convenience of flying from a local airport. Indeed, the business community has always appreciated the quick ‘breeze-through’ approach to flying from SOU because it is a small airport!

There will always be a market for a limited number of sun routes/ski routes etc., and the importance of the Channel Island business can never be underestimated. But, even if the runway extension happens, I firmly believe that the requirements for the low-cost/holiday/package business can be far better served at Bournemouth.