PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ROW/ROPS, RAAS
Thread: ROW/ROPS, RAAS
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2019, 20:22
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
Have a think about what you'd do if it calls "Long Landing" when you're about to touch down 1000m in on a 4000m runway...
Yeah, I am not overly impressed by RAAS. Another thing the office/engineer guys thought it is a "safe" and "cool" tool.Another voice in the cockpit. It makes you write more reports(at least in my outfit), especially going with green 500 hour guys into european "standard" runways(so more or less anything between 2400 - 3500m) and instead of the usual carrier landing for cable #3 they pull just a tad to much and it ends into a bit longer flare....no big deal. But RAAS DOES NOT like it.

But more then once the RAAS came up AFTER touchdown....(737NG)

IMHO just another "spying" tool on pilots(data monitoring + event), forcing them to write even more reports or sit the thing down with smoking tires(Treviso is the place for that, or Crotone, lol, there must be already a hole in the TDZ). Next will be cockpit cameras.... had to be very diplomatic on my last DH as one pax asked me after landing "how comes that the landings in your company are always that hard?"...... I said - "safety sir, safety"(or maybe lack of common sense?). Everyone is scared to flare nowadays RAAS is contributing now to that.

If I think back to the "old good times" with tower instructions like "cleared to land , DO LONG LANDING, vacate via the end" and we did that. And we COULD. Or Rwy 28 in Zuerich - LAHSO - Land and hold short operation with simultanuous landing rwy 16 and 28, landing traffic on 28 had to hold short of runway 16(not to mention the non precision approach on Rwy 28). No big deal. Anyway - long gone. NOW we have RAAS to tell us how to land a plane. Fantastic new aviation. Hope they invent the "drone plane" soon, so it does all the things they deem safe(including a software induced deep dive for "landing"). Not far from retirement, so, do what you want(for sure I will never step a foot in a robo plane, my god, this will be hard lesson to learn when they will decide to move it to that level).