PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172. Engine fire in flight procedure
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2019, 06:20
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Auxtank
You've answered your own question DB.

Add a

3) Get looking out the window, smartish, instead of doing supposed Merlin techniques to quash the flames, to form your plan early for entry to a big flat field.

And as PilotDar says; published procedures rule! Then YOUR plan (based on your observations out the window), then keeping the two of those things in harmony 'til the wheels come to a stop.

Indeed as PilotDar says elsewhere, the POH does not list basic airmanship, and in the event of engine fire or engine fail, it is being hammered into me that action 0 is set the glide speed and select somewhere to land.

I am puzzled that I am being very explicitly taught something that is not in the POH and that you guys tell me does not come under obvious, basic, 'airmanship'. I presume the school is familiar with the examiners' expectations. I will ask more when I am next there. Regardless, it is fun and instructive to set a fast glide at 3,000' AGL and fly a fast and controlled descent with the controls crossed. I think it has helped my flying a lot and made it easier for my brain to manage cross-wind landing and takeoffs. In fact, I am loving the whole engine off flying thing, it takes me back to sailing skills where you cannot just power your way out of a situation but need a long term and accurate planning.