PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan and Lancaster
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2019, 09:36
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Onceapilot
That is your "last sentence". Do you stand by that?
How about this one, " The fact is that the mosquito even in the LNSF was seen more as a nuisance"
Now, in the light of your opinion that the speed/height inferiority of the heavy bombers was not an important factor, you state, "Further, when you have 700+ bombers all going to the same target, once the nightfighter is 'in the stream', then they have the advantage" , so what is that "advantage"? Speed? No, it can't be because you conclude "no matter what speed the bomber is travelling at."
I am sorry rolling, but firing-off random historical opinions and failing to understand the dynamics of AI in the gun only days of WW2 is no basis to contend that faster/higher bombers would not have altered the loss rate!

OAP
Oh yes I stand by everything and it seems I am not the only one who thinks the same. I trust you have studied B29 operations? They were fairly invulnerable to Japanese attacks at 30,000 feet until the Japanese adapted aircraft that could reach that height. The B29s were however ineffectual at that height with regard to bombing accuracy and could only carry small loads. It was only when they went to medium level that they became effectual.Further, B29s were operating at 10+ hours round trip time. Losses granted were only 1.38%, but of around 30,000 sorties flown, 1/3 of B29s reported fighter attacks. Remember the Zero was fairly lightly armed.Unlike in Europe the B29s were not over enemy territory for long periods, the Japanese also had no benefit of early warning of raids as the Germans did. Wensleydale mentions IFF this was still being taught as late as 42,that it jammed German radar, which as Wensleydale states was the opposite. The Germans could even detect radio signals from bombers on air tests prior to a raid, so knew a raid was possibly on. The Germans only lost this advantage when the invasion of Europe moved towards the Low Countries. These advantages the Japanese never had. Also the Germans over Europe had had 4 years to perfect their skills, before the offensive in 43 began to reach its crescendo. If the Japanese had had as long to hone their skills, then I am sure B29 losses would have been higher. The B29 offensive only really got going in early 45 and that was against unprepared enemy. I stand by my opinion and and happy to fire off more random historical facts, not opinions if you so wish. The Germans would have adapted.