PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glad this story hasn't been forgotten
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2019, 04:36
goeasy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good simple explanation

Originally Posted by Pinkman
I have some interest/knowledge (enough to be dangerous) as I am in the fuels industry but have an environmental/toxicology background.
- TCP is Tri Cresyl Phosphate, as opposed to the common antiseptic Tri Chloro Phenol, which is not an organophosphate.
- The TCP we are talking about is an amazingly effective anti wear additive for turbine engines
- This is a bleed air issue not a combustion exhaust issue.
- Alternatives to TCP have been developed for aviation use but AFAIK they don't have the same performance in more demanding turbine applications and I am told by lubricants folk there isn't an effective drop in replacement .."but one day there will be".. probably not helpful, I know. From what I have heard I don't think it's a cost or cost effectiveness issue but confess I don't really know about that part.
- Organophosphates are known to cause the symptoms referenced above but the big problem in getting acceptance of / dealing with this, as a previous poster said, is the individual variation in human sensitivity, both immediate and long term and the lack of any proven dose-response correlation that would enable a performance standard to be set

Hope that helps
thanks Pinkman, there is far too much mis-information out there, and too many vested interests!