PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2019, 14:34
lightbluefootprint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobward
Last year I quit as an ATC instructor after 42 years. I had become totally fed up with the way the senior management of the organisation (=HQAC) were performing. They had driven most of the fun out of the organisation through piling more and more paperwork, risk assessments and other stuff onto the staff. On my unit we had two CI's doing nothing but admin work every week. What really hurt the most was seeing cadets spend most of their ATC career without getting airborne. The way gliding has gone is a national disgrace, which, thanks to MP's squabbling over Brexit will be quietly swept to one side.

The only saving grace I saw was when we had our AEF for Tutor flying changed. I'll not name either unit here as I don't want to embarrass those involved. When we changed units, the difference between the two was enormous. We were met on arrival and the unit staff ran the job with great efficiency, which meant the cadets were processed and flown without the delivering staff needing to get involved. They all had a great time, due in no great part to the enthusiasm of the unit staff. Every time I took cadets here there were also spaces made available for we staff to fly as well. That was impressive.

When I left I wrote to ma'am at HQAC to explain why I was going and put over my point of view. To her great credit, she wrote back within two days of my letter arriving. Sadly, I don't think she answered many of my points, although at least she knows how this tiny cog in the ATC machine felt. To those of you who soldier on, I wish you all the best and sincerely hope that one day things will get better. REading this thread, and noting it's length, we may well achieve Brexit before that happens.
I've been out for ten years now having been pleased to served in and out of uniform with the ACO for almost thirty years beforehand and sadly nothing you have written surprises me. The writing was on the wall when they prematurely moved on a certain A/Cdre who had an amazing rapport with cadets and staff because he was making too many positive inroads and dragging the ACO towards the 21st century. Personally I think the ACO will never get back to that position of strength, although the current CAC (with whom I have corresponded) does seem to have the PR side of things sorted in terms of getting the ACO/RAFC into the public eye.