PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAI into Clutha crash opens
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2019, 10:27
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DB, I think that you mis understand me! Firstly I was in direct control of a Police Air Unit for quite some time, so I do understand Police Air Ops. My comments fall under two main area's firstly to highlight the folly of expecting one aircraft to potentially cover the whole of Scotland! That single aircraft was fine and Adequate to cover its original patch - Strathclyde. but the whole of Scotland??? So I would look at the tasking of the Aircraft.

But more importantly I would be looking very closely at Police Control Room tapes. When a member of the Internal Investigations branch I seized such records very often and it is surprising what they can reveal! I would remind you of the tragic accident that befell the East Midlands Police twin Squirrel Aircraft that took off from an isolated base late one night and immediately ran into unseen low cloud. Disorientation followed and the aircraft crashed just outside its own base. BUT no - one knew that it had crashed until a badly injured crew member crawled back to the unit and used a phone there to call for assistance. As a result of that accident mandatory pre and post take off and landing transmissions had to be made to Police Control rooms. In addition police air units then started to speak to their control rooms more often ! So again I ask why was there no comment made in the AAIB report regarding the examination of the Airwave tapes? It is one of the first things that I as an investigator would have expected. It may well have been done, perhaps nothing was said by the Police Officers but I find that difficult to accept.

TF