PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building USA - (Master thread)
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2019, 03:59
Alex3008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TempoTCu
As an Aussie, I've seen plenty of posts about how flight training in the US is so much cheaper than here. I'm not debating this - its factual. What I am interested to know is whether it is more cost effective for an Aussie to complete their CPL in the US. Whilst the hour building will save a lot of coin, there are additional expenses and hidden costs including:
- getting to the US and back
- paying to stay somewhere while undertaking the training
- loss of income from not having a job whilst undertaking the training

So, taking the above into account, is it more cost effective as an Aussie to get a CPL in Australia or the US? Thanks!
YES and YES is the short answer. I did the research myself and i terminated my Swinburne Uni offer faster than Usain Bolt! What was appearing to me most after visiting a few flight schools over there was the ability to go from PPL to CPL with ME add on & CFI, II in less than 8 months. Ofcourse that involves alot of flying and hard work but when you compare how they do things in US vs Aus, in US they make things very simple when it comes to flying and they got no bias whats so ever on you! You also do more flying in US than Aus during your training plus after completing your course you will have about 12 months work rights (depending on your type of visa) and you can use that time to build significant hrs doing all sort of gigs as long as you got the right attitude! One of the schools (i didn't visit them just talk to them) told me they prefer hiring their own trained CFI students after completing their studies (including international students). They told me they can guarantee on that and they are willing to put it in writing!