PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-3
Thread: Stansted-3
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2019, 11:05
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by southside bobby
JetBlue to London in 2021...

It is obvious that MAG will have pitched extremely well to JBU regarding STN & that they can be perfect partners over BOS/JFK.

JBU have used the cleverest strategy gaming not only the LON airports but their rival airlines & the airframer to boot & enhanced their own market value.

Case then of wait & see.
If the pitch was so great, I would imagine jetBlue have already selected STN and would have announced it yesterday. Really this just feels like an announcement to appease the investors and show that jetBlue is 'growing' and 'maturing' their model. It's nothing new or exciting and far from guaranteed to make money. I don't think jetBlue have 'gamed' anyone, Delta have already announced JFK and BOS to LGW and have strong brands at both ends of the routes, with DL in the US and Virgin in the UK. Virgin have a strong following in the holidays market and a number of showcase high-street stores. They seem well-placed to market the route.
By giving competitors such a long warning time, I think jetBlue have decreased their chances of success. For example, AA already have A321neos on-property and a fleet of A321ceo in a premium layout. Whats to stop them reconfiguring and launching JFK-STN on the A321neo in time for summer 2020? They've pulled this trick before. The A321neo at Primera didn't end well, but for the purposes of keeping jetBlue out of Europe, AA/BA might find the 'investment' worth while.