PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Ethiopian 737 crash in cold and concise terms
Old 11th Apr 2019, 00:37
Tankengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ct

Originally Posted by Icarus2001
There are many reasons, some valid others less so but I will let someone else draw that conclusion. What I can say, without fear of contradiction, is that the crew who flew the aircraft prior to the Lionair crash dealt with the situation using electric trim and cut out switches and they landed safely, writing up the defect.
Draw from that your own conclusion.

The use of the electric trim stops MCAS trimming and then there is a five second pause. This is without using the cutouts. Again, draw your own conclusion.
- Assuming MCAS works like you say.
I reckon it is a **** system designed by engineers who think pilots cannot make up their own mind.
Any system that winds on trim countering pilot input (while pilots are trying yo sort out another failure giving unreliable speed and constant stick shaker) needs to be disabled from all aircraft.
Dealing with multiple failures at low level while trim forces both on the control column and trim wheels become impossible?
Even dealing with this with full knowledge and hindsight would be a challenge.
If the basic design of the max is now so bad that it cannot be certified without MCAS then maybe it should not continue.