PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Stuck Manual Trim Technique
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2019, 13:45
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=HalinTexas;10441177
There was no reason to turn the electric trim switches back on, but since they did, they should have used it! If they had, they could have saved the airplane.
.[/QUOTE]

In my limited understanding of the B-737 MAX MCAS/trim workings, I believe that once the trim Cut Out switches are opened, the only way to trim the stabilizer is via the manual trim wheels. My friends with Boeing experience say that this is a slow and physically taxing operation. To re-trim the horizontal stabilizer quickly would require closing of the trim Cut Out switches, but, of course, that would allow the MCAS to re-initiate the nose down trim action. The pilots would have had a very small window of opportunity (maybe 5 seconds) in which to close the Cut Out Switches, trim ANU, and open the Cut Out switches before MCAS could resume commanding AND.

Just as a matter of interest, I quote from the Boeing 707 Stratoliner Flight Manual, Revision 11-8-60, entitled "Stabilizer Trim Emergency Operation":

"If the stabilizer electric trim becomes inoperative, the manual trim can be used. Due to the flight loads imposed in an out of trim condition, it may be necessary to release the control column to a low force position and retrim while in an "unloaded" condition. If the airplane is much out of trim , this action will have to be repeated until correct trim is obtained."

The manual also stated that the procedure to "Raise Nose" if the stabilizer was jammed nose down was to deactivate the inboard spoilers and raise the outboard spoilers by operating the speed brake lever.

I don't remember where or how I obtained this manual, but I've had it for 30 years or so.

Cheers,
Grog