PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why Cathay Pacific allowed pilot with measles to fly
Old 10th Apr 2019, 02:39
petrichor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anxiao
I only know what I have read here, which is not a good grounding for evidence, but apparently he had pustules on his face and a high temperature.

Adult measles is thankfully rare, although becoming more common with the anti vaxxing movement, but with those symptoms a pilot would know he was unfit to operate an aircraft. It is possible that he did not know he that had a reportable contagious disease as he may not have seen the signs before. Measles, thankfully these days, is not a Usual Childhood Ailment. It has become a deadly disease which affects adults and unborn children. It is virulently contagious.

That he turned up for a flight shows the appalling consequence of a medical threat scenario in CX where, because of the managed sickness system pilots are intimidated into flying when they know they are not fit. Vacuous statements by management that, "It is the pilots responsibility ... yada yada", are valueless, when the same manager brings the guy in the next day to tell him he is on notice for a sickness report.

I hope that one day the manager does this to someone and the victim gives him a contagious disease which affects the managers family when he takes it home. It is the only way these muppets learn.
I'm sorry but if you you have a fever and turn up to work because you're too afraid to say NO, then are you really the right person to be in charge of a $200m+ jet with several hundred people entrusting you with their lives?