PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-5
Thread: Jet2-5
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2019, 10:08
Plane.Silly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the fleet I'm sure we'll see something like a 737-700 come in to replace the 733's. They served a purpose for the airline and whilst in growth the 738's have matched demand increase on a lot of former 733 routes, there are still some routes, like the aforementioned GIB and some city routes from the likes of LBA and BFS that you would think it is perfect for.
I might not be so sure about that. Another round of retirements this year will probably see the end of the older -300's (likely to be the end of the G-CEL# series). This leaves just a handful remaining, but all of these still have many years left in them. It doesn't seem logical to introduce a new aircraft to the fleet, along with the spares, training and integration that would be needed (despite the commonality)

Also to throw my pennies into the well of Jet2 praise, i haven't seen on here someone mention the TripAdvisor awards, where Jet2 scooped 5, including the prestigious #9 airline in the WORLD, being the only UK & European operator in the top 10.
Given the amount of praise they get, including all you Ppruners, it's hard not to see why.

I think as the 757's go, we will see them go down the A330 route. I think neo's are out of the question for a long while. Jet 2 buy second hand and maintain extremely well. The only reason they went for new 738's was they got a cracking deal on end of the line models, you're talking years until the neo gets to the end of the line. The 332 could fil PMI from MAN twice a day quite comfortably, and there is routes to the Canaries, Greece and Turkey that could support 2/3 332 services a week no problem (that's without the potential, if not very likely expansion into long haul). Either way its exciting times ahead for EXS
I'd believe this is a similar situation to the -300's, but there's definately more scope for expansion here. It's been previously reported that there's at least 1 B752 being retired this winter and all ops to be moved to MAN. the current agreement with the A330's works well, where they get the capacity in the summer without having to worry about the maintenance (too much). Being their 3rd year of operation, Jet2 must be seeing a future for a higher capacity aircraft somewhere down the line. the biggest issue though is the excessive range available, which doesn't quite work for their short haul programmes (Mainland Spain). Mid-haul (Canaries/Turkey) works much better, but i don't believe they are in a position to fully benefit from this. As for long haul, the CEO has said no in the short/mid term, as there's more to do in the core market . I wouldn't expect to see something here for a good few years yet.
the A321neo/ A332/8 would be a good option, along with the MAX 10 (once all issues are rectified and if they're still in production) or the B788. I'm a firm believer that if Boeing actually deliver on the rumoured B797 (Middle of the Market aircraft), this would suit Jet2 perfectly, giving the capacity and range they need. Shame it's not expected until around 2030, but hey ho...

I don't see them launching the South West for quite a while and I think they'll find it uber competitive here.
This has also been covered by the CEO, stating he wants to continue growth at all bases before moving elsewhere. reasonable candidates would probably be CWL, EXT or BOH (BRS is full and SOU doesn't have the runway)

Phwew, i can breathe now...