PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 8th Apr 2019, 14:30
nonsense

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Arydberg
He wrote a book about a car called " unsafe at any speed" about the corvair. The car was discontinued
I read "Unsafe at any speed" as an undergraduate mechanical engineering student in my late 20s in about 1991. None of my younger colleagues had even heard of it, but more surprisingly very few of the engineers I subsequently worked with in the automotive industry (Australian branchs of two big American companies) had heard of it, and NONE had ever read it!

"Unsafe..." was published in 1965. GM produced the Corvair between 1960 and 1969, though sales dropped off considerably after 1965. Unlike my younger colleagues at university, my contemporaries had owned cars of about this age when we started driving, so I'm not all that surprised to read that "A 1972 safety commission report conducted by Texas A&M University concluded that the 1960–1963 Corvair possessed no greater potential for loss of control than its contemporary competitors in extreme situations." I was driving British and Australian cars of the era, but they were all pretty horrid and would generally bite back at hamfisted drivers.

Last edited by nonsense; 8th Apr 2019 at 14:42.