PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Google's Project Loon
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2019, 02:26
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Godknows
------- considering this Governments utter balls up with the NBN!
Folks,
Sorry for the thread drift, but I must comment ----- in recent times I have heard Labor roundly criticising the present Government over the NBN, and in the same breath praising the UK rollout.
As a matter of interest, the "technology" mix is the same in both countries ---- a mix of FTTH, FTTP, HFC and copper ----- depending on what makes most engineering economic sense. If Godknows means it should have been the Labor "fibre for all", that was never realistic, either in cost or timeframe. Repeat bollocks often enough, and it becomes conventional wisdom.
The original Labor steering committee has ONE SINGLE person on it who knew something about such matters ----- the rest, chaired by Ken Henry (now of Banking Royal Commission fame) did not have a skerrick of practical knowledge about such matters.
How do I know ---- that one person, who had actually built networks, was a good friend of mine, (and a well known aviator) and a close friend of the then Minister, Stephen Conroy, but he couldn't convince Conroy that 100% fibre (excluding space served remote areas) was not possible, let alone practical, except in really high density areas. All the non-technical public servants, accountants and barrow pushers knew better.
Don't confuse the capabilities of the system with what some retailers have been doing, or the complaints from those who only bought low speed plans. As for those needing 100 and up, a very small market, but mostly there for any who need it.
Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 8th Apr 2019 at 00:35.