PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Stuck Manual Trim Technique
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2019, 21:57
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPax
How long did it take to reach that point? Doesn't sound like a quick procedure.
Not too long. It was a while ago but I'd think 4 or 6 repeats from full stab deflection before manual trim became usable without it.
It certainly was neither violent nor extreme manoeuvering, you're only pulling to as much of a normal climb attitude as you can reasonably acheive and then relaxing back to level flight. Pax would find it a bit of an undulationperhaps like flying through wave but to call it "yo-yo' is a big exaggeration. Even roller-coaster greatly overstates it although it illustrates the shape of the thing, if you like.

Next time you're in the sim ask to try it. It's quite a gentle flightpath as you're pulling big forces on the yoke at first.
I'm surprised it disappered from the FCOM though. Mr Boing's gonna regret that decision...

Min height to do this at? 500 feet if you had to - not that you'd choose to do of course. There should be no diving or descent involved, just undulations up from and back to whatever altitude you started from. If you had height to spare ypu might use a bit of descent but it wouldn't be to my taste, I'd not want the nose below the horizon with extreme down-trim simply because of the recovery, and also to avoid airspeed buildup which would surely be obvious to most.