PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FaceTime/Skype/Messenger blocked
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2019, 11:27
aeropix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April 2019 the Problem Continues / Any Solutions?

Hi All,

I am resurrecting this VPN thread because my VPN connections ONLY are being actively blocked and throttled by Etisalat in Al-Safa area. I am at my wits' end and want to see if anybody has any recent advice to share?

Here are my detailed description to illuminate the problem. I use Speedtest.Net to check the bandwidth on my connections. The baseline / non-throttled connection on Etisalat is rated at 100Mb down / 25Mb up and checks out at those speeds usually with 106 down and 28 up.

HOWEVER, whenever I connect using two well known, highly rated, paid VPN providers (one starts with "e" another with "w") they will connect with a fairly reasonable ping of 150ms but the speed is ALWAYS reliably capped by Etisalat at 1.0Mb down and about 0.7Mb up. So from 100Mb connection I am only getting <1.0Mb speed on VPN.

I have had very good and detailed tech support from both providers, and both are telling me that the majority of their Etisalat customers are getting full speed. Indeed when I use either provider at a public Wifi such as the mall, airport, or even at a friend's house (outside the neighborhood), I get something like 50Mb down / 25Mb up on all the VPN servers. I only get the deep throttling on my home network.

Even more mysterious, and to support my proposal that I am being individually targeted or that my neighborhood is being targeted, one night a week I've had an hour or two of full speed VPN service at home, presumably because whatever blocking tech the Telecom was using was off / or down for maintenance.

So I know two things, 1/ both of my VPN providers are functioning normally, and are accessible thorough many Wifi points here in Dubai and
2/ They are both being deeply throttled at my home, or in my neighborhood.

So does anybody have any advice to get them to lift the blockage against your home network? I just recently cancelled and removed my old Elife number and waited a few days and got a new number, new box, new router but it is still fully blocked / deeply throttled at home.

At least I hope to raise awareness amongst the few of us who are still on this forum. Any advice would be appreciated.